The Church of the Holy Name of Jesus was established in 1876 as a Mission Church-the first church to spring from the original St. Mary's Parish.

"In 1897, administration of the Parish passed to the Rev. Anthony Dornseifer with the intention of converting the Mission into a pastorate. Fr. Dornseifer promptly arranged the purchase of a 60' lot behind the church for the purpose of erecting a school building.  A small house came with the lot (total cost of $900) which was moved in 1898 to the southwest side of the Church and remodeled as a Rectory.  The project was completed in 1899 and Fr. Dornseifer took up residence, thus ending Holy Name's days as a Mission.  Fr. Dornseifer would spend 43 years at Holy Name."

The primary mission of the parish is its school.  We know that some families cannot afford the entire cost of a Catholic education for their children.  We are, however, blessed with generous people both in the parish and in the community who believe in Catholic education and assist generously with tuition.

Holy Name was the first church to participate in the Hot Lunch Program in Kansas City, Kansas when it was inaugurated in early 1982.  Our parishioners provide and/or cook the food as well as volunteer to work on our day a the Food Kitchen.  During the school year, Holy Name Schools 8th grade students go with the adults to the Food Kitchen.  Holy Name consistently serves the highest number of guest each month. 

Ninnescah Veterinary Service Sponsorship Banner

HolyArt.com is a proud sponsor of this parish website.